Friday, February 06, 2009

Small Things

Life could be going better for me, but things are not as bad as they were. Today is my birthday. Not really in a celebratory mood, though. But, because it is also my younger daughter’s birthday, I do have something to celebrate. Though I may not be in such a good place, I am reminded that my life is filled to overflowing by my precious daughters. No gift can ever be greater and no sorrow can ever erase what they mean.

A friend of mine recently posted a poem by an author I didn’t know, but whom I obviously need to read. Her name is Gunilla Norris and the poem is from her book, Becoming Bread.

Gathering Up Crumbs

Be careful with the crumbs.

Do not overlook them.

Be careful with the crumbs;

the little chances to love,

the tiny gestures, the morsels

that feed, the minims.

Take care of the crumbs;

a look, a laugh, a smile,

a teardrop, an open hand. Take care

of the crumbs. They are food also.

Do not let them fall.

Gather them. Cherish them.

Sometimes all you have in life are the crumbs. The little things, sometimes leftover. There is something in the ability to behold them as gifts, as valuable. To know that nothing that passes by us, nothing that circles into our lives, is without worth and value.

What is a loaf of bread, but many, many crumbs?

- David

1 comment:

Vic Mansfield said...

Happy Birthday! You could be as old as I am, so gove thanks!

I'm sad for you hurts of the heart. I've not even begun thinking about dating anyone. Can't go there yet. But I know how the heart can hurt. You'll be in my prayers.