Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lovely People

I worked from home today, though not intentionally. Most mornings, as part of my routine, I do a quick log in to see what's on my calendar and check to see if any urgent emails or IMs have arrived for me. Mostly because I am chronically late! This morning opened with several hot issues before I even took my shower and I got so involved I just stayed home and worked. While it was very busy, workwise, the nice thing is that I can take breaks and do stuff here I need to do. Or, I can let the TV play in the background.

Honestly, it is in the background when it's on. I'm not a TV junkie and generally tune it out. In fact, my TV is rarely on. But today a British miniseries was playing, which I've seen before, called "The Line of Beauty". All of a sudden, a line jumped out at me, an intersection with a conversation I had last night with a friend.

"You don't fall in love with someone because they're beautiful. People are lovely because we love them, not the other way around."

Last night, a friend and I were discussing the mysteries of attraction. The inexplicable nature of what draws us to another human being. Of course, physical beauty is undeniable. But I can list, easily, a dozen physically beautiful men I am not the least attracted to, generally because of personality. It's as though I can objectively see the beauty, but it doesn't move me. And there are definitely other guys who don't initially strike me as physically beautiful, who become more and more lovely as I get to know them more.

What a mystery.

-David

1 comment:

Vic Mansfield said...

Truly it is love that makes someone beautiful. Some incredibly "beautiful" people can be very "stuck" on themselves. Kindness, true humility, graciousness, self-confidence, easy-going-ness: these are things that make one beautiful. Of course, a bit of bearishness helps get things started!